One of the challenges being over 40, is remaining fashionable without being tragic.
Here’s my latest theory how to keep it age-appropriate for me.
- Never wear head-to-toe trends – I accidentally did this the other day. Felt ridiculous as soon as I realised.
- See-through (without a nice under layer).
- T-shirts with slogans. Except at the gym.
- Hair much longer than shoulder length.
- Poker straight hair. Emphasises my wrinkles.
- Camouflage print.
- Show my knees at formal occasions.
- Wacky. I think there are just some trends that are only for the kids.
- Tough moto or leather jackets. I use scarves to soften the look.
- Trainers outside of the gym. Plimsole type shoes are ok.
- Skinny jeans. Only with butt covering jacket or knitwear.
- Thongs – the shoes. I feel bad saying this as I live in my thongs but I accept I do have to stop or at least cut down. My mum never wears thongs… And I think as you age there comes a time when you shouldn’t wear them. Or maybe you can’t wear them as you need orthotics.
I embrace my age. I love being over 40. This isn’t about hiding my age, it is about accurately representing my age. I’m not a kid anymore and I don’t want to be.