I am a fan of Alyson Walsh and her blog That’s Not My Age.
Alyson also writes for the Daily Mail, and I enjoyed this piece on style tribes.
In the article there is a quiz. I do love a quiz. Even though you know they are silly, I always feel the need to complete them.
Of all the options suggested in the article I think the Scandinavian Chic one appeals to me most. It’s comfortable.
Flattering muted shades, grown-up styling, and clever, unexpected shapes such as cocoon dresses and geometric silver jewellery typify the best of Scandinavian style. ….The style is understated, simple and practical. She is looking for something that will last. Unafraid to experiment with layering and asymmetric silhouettes, she goes for minimal shapes, clean lines, neutral colours and natural fabrics. As well as heavy-duty knitwear, she is also likely to favour some nautical stripes. Keep it simple. Don’t blow it all with fussy accessories.
- A slouchy sweater worn over black trousers or jeans (try Zara),
- a striped T-shirt,
- ankle boots (for around £60, Clarks do some of the best – and the most comfortable) and
- a butter-soft suede jacket (if you can, this is one time it’s worth splashing out on the real thing – the £328 version from All Saints is particularly good. And you can always wait for the inevitable Autumn sale).
- Top it off with a coatigan (a mix of coat and cardigan) and
- a cross-body bag (&otherstories.com has a range from £55).
THE STYLE CROWD’S SECRET SHOPS
- Acne – this hip Swedish label has some eye-wateringly expensive pieces, but is the go-to brand for jeans you’ll treasure…
- COS – for the modern minimalist, Swedish H&M’s older sister offers pared-down style with a flash of colour. It looks high fashion but at low prices…
- By Malene Birger – this Copenhagen designer does contemporary chic with an eye-catching twist. It’s available at Fenwick, Net-a-Porter and John Lewis, with chic wool trousers around £200. Try waiting for key pieces to go on sale on theoutnet.com, Net-a-Porter’s cut-price site.
Categories: Style Advice