There are many things I dislike about Australia but also lots of things to love.
One thing I love is our language. We are so influenced by America and England, yet still maintain our own culture, reflected in our language.
Australians do say:
- Arvo for afternoon
- Service station or petrol station for gas station
- Gday – not so often but we do say it.
- Mate – often to lighten a harsh word or when you forget someone’s name
- Bumbag for fanny pack
- Thongs for flip flops
- Doona for duvet
- Chips for crisps and hot chips
- Barbie for bbq
- Ice block for popsicle
- Maccas for MacDonald’s
- Skivvy for polo shirt
- Trackies or tracky dacks for tracksuit pants
- Pants for trousers
- underpants for underwear
- Fairy floss for cotton candy
What we don’t say (or no one I know does or super rare):
- The c word
- Fair dinkum
- Koalas aren’t really called drop bears.
We do like vegemite. Like I love it. Alot.